Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Letter to Oprah

Dear Oprah Producers,

My name is Jackie and I am the Mother of a wonderful little boy named Asa. Asa is chromosomally enhanced, I think of him as bionic. He's got extra good stuff, much like Spiderman or Captain Courageous.

There is a very special group of people who are bonding together to yell from the mountaintops, "CELEBRATE DOWN SYNDROME"! October is National Down syndrome awareness month and what a great show it would make to do a little celebrating in honor of it! I am one of those people whose life has been changed by 3 copies of that magical chromosome 21!

It would be fantastic if Oprah could help us "Yell it from the Mountaintops" how amazing it is to be a parent of a child with Down syndrome, it is very hard to describe in 2000 characters or less.

There is a whole community that shares in these pleasures with me, most have blogs including myself (www.henryfamily-lifeiswhatumakeit.blogspot.com) that can help me explain. Enjoying the Small Things (www.kellehampton.com), Life with Chicky, Bubba and Nika (www.thebalsisfamily.blogspot.com) and one great web board www.downsyn.com - it was started by a couple after the birth of their son in 1997 as a place where parents can go ask questions, share their stories and be a part of a Down syndrome family from around the world!

It may be 3 copies of the 21st chromosome that causes Down syndrome, but it's purely magic what it creates.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Jackie H.

1 comment:

  1. love this letter. sweet blog I put you on my "follow" list

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
My name is Jackie and I am a mother, wife, friend, sister, daughter, cousin to many, and a dreamer of sorts. I dream of many things and one is a life full of acceptance, achievement and success for my Super Hero son Asa. He's got extra good stuff that comes with a little thing called Down syndrome. We live in the beautiful state of New Hampshire with our 2 Bulldogs; Rosie, Frankie and 36 chickens.