Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Today was the day

We finally decided it was time to put Fraser down. We really thought he wasn't going to make it through last winter, and he did. We really thought he wasn't going to make it through the summer, and he did. The poor old man just kept on ticking. He would of been 13 years old in January. He had really faltered but still had some pep. I want to share the story of Fraser.

Fraser did not come to be ours until he was 5 years old. Our old house sits beside a walking trail and one morning I was out on our porch with Russ and a woman walking on the trail yelled to me. She asked me if we wanted another bulldog. I looked up and said "really?" and then proceeded to wonder what was wrong with the dog if someone was willing to give it away... Fraser's owner was a lawyer and he worked 10 hours a day. He adored Fraser. We set up a meet and greet at our house for the following week. Russ and Fraser got along great and Fraser made himself right at home. His owner who lived a couple hours away said he'd make it permanent the following weekend. As the next week progressed we didn't hear from the guy, he called the Saturday morning when he was suppose to bring Fraser and said that he couldn't do it. He just couldn't part with him. We totally understood and were cool with it (even though we had prepared ourselves for a new family member). Later that summer we decided to go ahead and get a puppy and Frankie joined our family. Frankie and Russ were best buds, we were a happy 2 male bulldog family.

The following year we got a call from the sister in law who stopped on the trail that morning the year before. She said that her brother in law was moving to NYC with his fiancee and the fiancee didn't want Fraser to come :( He wanted to know if we still wanted Fraser, we were the home he really wanted him to have. I told her we did get another dog and weren't sure if we wanted 3! Well, the rest is really history and Fraser came to live with us the beginning of August 2005.

This is his 1st night with us. Wouldn't you know that would be his spot on the couch for the next 7 years!
He was the Bestman at our wedding!


He really was the best dog, he was a devoted companion to the entire family and his dog brothers. He had a little purr whine when he wanted something, it was cute but annoying and something that I hated but will be my most favorite memory.

He was just "Joe Cool!"

"I thought of you with love today but that is nothing new
I thought about you yesterday and days before that too.
I think of you in silence I often speak your name.
All I have are memories and your picture in a frame.
Your memory is my keepsake with which I’ll never part.
God has you in His keeping I have you in my heart"

Fraser - a trusted friend and companion who blessed us with the best years of his life...
January 5, 2000 to October 10, 2012

We put him under the apple tree in our yard. Rest in peace buddy, we'll miss you....

2 comments:

  1. oh Im so sorry, I know it is so difficult to have a pet put to sleep {{{hugs}} jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about Fraser. He sure looked like he was a sweet dog. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
My name is Jackie and I am a mother, wife, friend, sister, daughter, cousin to many, and a dreamer of sorts. I dream of many things and one is a life full of acceptance, achievement and success for my Super Hero son Asa. He's got extra good stuff that comes with a little thing called Down syndrome. We live in the beautiful state of New Hampshire with our 2 Bulldogs; Rosie, Frankie and 36 chickens.